Just friends

6:11 PM

I just remembered it's my turn to facilitate our D-Group discussion next week. We're still continuing with the book Emotional Purity (by Heather Patenaude) and the topic I picked out is entitled: Just Friends.


What are your thoughts on male and female relationships?

When I was younger, it was easier to make friends with guys than with girls. Almost all girls my age were starting to get really focused on their looks. They discovered the wonders of face powders, nail polish, and they are always searching high and low for the perfect hair, and of course, the hot good looking guys.

I wasn't into those things. Sure, I'm particular with the clothes I wear and making sure that I don't look like a monster everyday, but I never held a hairbrush for more than 2 seconds (except when I'm brushing my hair) and I scrunch my nose over horrible whiffs of perfume. In fact, I even remember having only 2 crushes in high school (which eventually drained even before the school year ended) and none in college. So, it was a little hard for me to connect with most of the girls, especially in high school. My focuses back then were maintaining good grades, practicing lines for plays, practicing solos for glee club, and figuring out the next issue for my column. Totally dork-ish, I know, but for some strange reasons, some of the boys in my class shared the same interests as I had. And no, I didn't fall in love with them and they didn't fall in love with me. It was all very platonic.

College was better. The girl barkadas I didn't have in highschool I gained in college. But even though we share the same interests (such as complaining over a subject or downgrading an instructor, HAHA), I still found myself quick friends with the withering number of guys in our department (majority are girls and some of the guys either shift to a new course or become 'girls' too).

But my friendship with these guys were not just random. I still applied the principle of choosing, like which guys are good to be friends with and whom are not. Funny because most of my guy friends are more talkative, sarcastic, and humorously evil than I am. But yes, I found myself caring for these guys like my own brothers, same as I care for my female friends as very cool sisters. But with my guy friends, I like the way that they understand me and that I understand them (without the need to lay it out on the table) which is = we're just friends.

So I think male-female relationships are healthy when handled well. You don't get stuck into the conservative's world and you get the chance to hear the thought and opinions of the male species (on general matters) and give your thoughts and opinions as well. You wouldn't be left awkward during social functions (especially when there's a need to bring a date - not necessarily a boyfriend) and wouldn't look stupid standing in the middle of the room while you grow wide eyed with nervousness that there are males in the room.

I mean, come on. One of the things I observed being a young adult now is that women tend to see males as only potential mates. I believe they are more than that (and males should also realize that we females are also more than that). If you open your mind and start embracing that fact, you will be surprised to find yourself having good fun. You'll learn a lot from them and they'll grow respecting you. Just make sure you don't involve premature emotional intimacy or else your male-female friendship is as good as done.

You Might Also Like

0 comments