Superbook

11:20 PM

I had the privilege of being part of the very few select who were able to watch two episodes of the all-new 3D version of Superbook.

That's Joy, Chris and funny Gizmo with an all-new look!

Superbook is very close to my heart. Not only is it a cartoon, but it is a cartoon that I practically grew up with. When I was very young, I used to watch its every episode and I would even scream "Superbook" when it's almost time to watch it. I even tried jumping on a Bible to see if it would take me back in the time of Jesus. Of course, it never happened (but I think I just traced where my active imagination came from).

The first anime cartoon - ever. Yes, that was Superbook!

We watched the episode on the story of David and of the first fall of man. Based on cinematography and presentation, it gets an A+ from me. So happened, when we watched it, I was seated on the very front row with the speaker blasting right in front of me. I felt like I was watching in a cinema. The musical scores are surprisingly beyond average. The scripts were excellent. It clearly conveyed biblical messages (with no compromises) and were written very well. It has a touch of humor (especially Gizmo and Professor Quantum) and a touch of heart (kurot sa puso).

Now based on the content, I give it an A+++ (if that's possible). The stories, though portraying some characters in the Bible, were very much God-centered. It didn't put the glory on David, or on archangel Michael, but on God. Both characters gave the glory to God. On one scene, Michael refused to join or even listen to Lucifer's proposal of joining the would-be devil. Michael remained loyal to the One and Only God up to this day. On another scene in the story, we saw God's mercy and love portrayed in spite of the sins the first humans committed. David, on the other hand, kept telling King Saul that the Lord will be with him in battle (as he faces Goliath), the Lord would be his shield (so he has no need for King Saul's weapons and shield), and telling Goliath when he had killed him, "My God is not weak" (with emphasis). But the best part of the story (which I think all of us in the audience loved) was the scene when David and Chris were talking in front of a bonfire while David was playing the harp. When Chris praised him on his harp-playing skills, David had only one thing to reply, "I play for my God."

That spoke a thousand message to us. I almost bawled my eyes out.

I can't wait for the launching of Superbook. From what I hear, it's set to air on September. Even if I'm already 22 and far too young to be watching cartoons, I wouldn't miss it for the world. Oftentimes, it's the simple things that strike hard on our hearts. When we were young, the words and things we hear didn't really make much sense to us but after years of experiencing trials, problems, and victories in life, all of the things we heard started to make sense. It's like singing With Christ in my vessel at age 22 and above:

In Christ in my vessel I can smile at the storm, smile at the storm, smile at the storm
With Christ in my vessel I can smile at the storm
Until He takes me home.
Sailing, I'm sailing home.
Sailing, I'm sailing home.
With Christ in my vessel I can smile at the storm
Until He takes me home.


Could we really smile now in the midst of storms looming on us from every direction? Do we really put our trust in Him when the going gets tough? Is Christ really in our vessel - our life?

It's not until you grow and get a good dose of reality that such words would start to make meaning. I admit that when we sang that again as a praise and worship song in one of our devotions, I caught myself finding it hard to continue. The lyrics suddenly made sense. A whole lot of sense. And hearing it being sung by innocent children  it makes my heart quench and makes me feel ashamed that even once I doubted Him.

I'm glad that after more than a decade, Superbook is back. I pray with all my heart that many kids, and even adults, would know a lot about God through Superbook and decide to love Him and accept Him as Lord and Savior.

You Might Also Like

0 comments