Err... Medical School?

10:17 PM

I'm reading a couple of blogs about med school from people connected to me through mutual friends (yes, like that in Facebook). And no, just because I coincidentally read about med school and accidentally saw last weekend my best friend who is currently taking med school are not signs for me to even think about venturing into the medical jungle.

I. AM. NOT. GOING. TO. MEDICAL. SCHOOL.

Okay, let's backtrack a little so you'll understand where I'm coming from. Last year, I became a radio scriptwriter for my boss' radio health segment program. Since I have a background on radio broadcasting (which includes writing towering amount of scripts, doing time-consuming research and interviews, editing the audio records, AND doing all that in less than a week), the job was refreshing. Even though I hated radio when I was in college, at least I'm doing something I was trained to do. I considered this as something positive - a sign that my career is heading to a good direction.

Now, if there's one thing we DevCom graduates are famously known for, we are 'mediators'. Yes, like the psychics. But for us, we are the mediators in between the experts (doctors, lawyers, scientists, etc) and the common people. We are expert 'laymanizers'. We put highfalutin words and situations into something quickly understandable (that even students and kids could understand). So just imagine the kind of pressure we have on our shoulders: we learn to speak the language of the experts and at the same time learn the language of the common people. Talk about tipping balance scales.

So even though I'm surrounded with young and -ehem- more experienced doctors, I still do research the 21st century style - Google and medical books. At first, I thought it was time-consuming to do those nosebleed research when I have doctors all around me who know these medical stuff like the back of their hands. But no, they still want me to do the research, do the script, and give it to them to edit. So until now, that's what I'm doing.

The doctors at work are telling me I'm almost like taking med school. Some people even encouraged me to pursue one. Well, I admit that at one point I disillusioned myself venturing into med school, but no, I finally decided I wouldn't. Not only is med school expensive and challenging (emotionally, mentally an physically), plus add to the fact that I flunk at math and science (they are my least favorite subjects) - if I take med school, I might be tarnished. I might forget the language of the common people and the jargons might override my mind. I'm content with studying my research, consulting the doctors for more explanations, and flying out the message in the air the medical stuff people (especially those living in far-flung areas of the country) need to know.

I'm just not sure if God is content with me doing just that or make me pursue something that is beyond my wildest dreams.

We'll see. Or better yet, I'll see.

You Might Also Like

0 comments