Good old days, 90s, and S Club 7

10:34 PM

Now I know what my parents feel whenever they hear the 60's song in the radio. It was their generation. Certainly, being reminded of what had been during those years would spring forth memories of the good old days. Generational music is really one thing. It flies you back to the past like a time machine.

Last week, I indulged myself in some newfound comfort songs while I breezed through a pretty hectic week. And these songs were from my generation - the 90's! Yup! The year of boy bands, girl bands, group singers, and such.





Spice Girls:
Probably the most famous singing icons during that time





Also the year of the then-tamed Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera who drastically rose to fame.




Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera, when they were still starting out as innocent performers



But, I found my new comfort songs in the feel good, wholesome digs of the British pop group, the S Club 7!




Ah, takes me back in time. I always watch their series in Disney Channel, not missing a single episode. I also watched their movie (which is the culprit of this whole entry. I saw it on HBO last Sunday and I told myself I'll find their songs and videos in Youtube).I enjoyed watching them dance, sing, act, but most especially I love the brotherly/sisterly vibe they have with each other. Their British accent were killers too! lol

What a wholesome group they were. They had this cool, friendly, hip vibe that when I heard the songs, I was hit by nostalgia.

Unfortunately, the S Club 7 disbanded. But I found myself glad that they did. In fact, I hope they don't get together again. Because knowing what's profitable for the music industry today, they might reconstruct themselves and be just like "everybody else". I just want to remember them as the wholesome, teenage-friendly group who piqued our interest to dance and gave us inspiring melodies and songs.

I feel a bit bad for the generation today. The music icons they have to 'look up to' are the likes of Miley Cyrus (who's already pushing herself to brash seduction when she's still underage), Jonas Brothers (which I still fail to understand why they're that famous. Airtimes and movie budgets are being wasted on them), Glee like Lea Michelle (who I find annoying with her major major overacting), Justin Bieber (who has a nail polish line. I think he's sick), Lady Gaga (who lives up to her name gaga), only to name a few. While artists today compensate majority of their already low-graded popularity through internet-based tabloids (but not all of them. There are still decent, truly talented ones left), the 90s artists used hip, trendy music to hook fans, and generate more.

Ah, the good old days, when you can just prance around, dance all you want, and still be clean about it.

If you're a 90's kid, get a load of these songs and I'm sure you'll be swept back to the good old days.







You Might Also Like

0 comments